How do I file a Tax Appeal?

If you disagree with the assessed value of your property, contact the Tax Assessor's Office at 890-3654. If after speaking with a representative in the Tax Assessor's Office, you wish to file an appeal, an appeal may be filed with the County Board of Taxation. Forms and instructions for filing an appeal may be obtained in the Tax Assessor's Office located in the Municipal Building or by contacting the Mercer County Board of Taxation at 640 South Broad Street, Trenton, NJ 08650, 609-989-6704. You may also access an application (PDF) or visit our website.

If the assessed value exceeds $1,000,000, you have the option of filing your appeal directly with the Tax Court. Information for filing a complaint with the Tax Court may be obtained by contacting the Tax Court of New Jersey at: 
P.O. Box 972
Hughes Justice Complex
Trenton, NJ 08625.

Assessment appeals must be filed on or before April 1 of the current tax year, or 45 days from the date mailed, as it appears on the front of the tax notice, whichever date is later.

Additional Instructions: Do not multiply last year's property tax rate by the current year's assessed value to determine taxes for the current year.

Show All Answers

1. How do I file a Tax Appeal?