Who do I contact about tenant/landlord issues or disputes?

With the exception of building inspection issues and landlord registration, the Township does not get involved in landlord/tenant issues or disputes. For other tenant/landlord affairs information, residents may contact the NJ Department of Community Affairs, Division of Codes and Standards, Landlord / Tenant Division by phone 609-292-7899, or by mail at:

P.O. Box 805
Trenton NJ 08625

If a resident wishes to obtain a copy of the "Truth in Renting" brochure (PDF) that is published by the State of New Jersey, they must submit their request in writing. Formal complaints must be filed with the Mercer County Superior Court - Special Civil Part, which can be reached at 609-571-4483.

If a tenant feels that their rent increase is "excessive", they must notify their landlord in writing, stating "I feel the increase is unfair, excessive and not warranted. I do not intend to pay this increase, I do feel I can afford ___ per month". If a resolution cannot be reached amicably between landlord and tenant, the landlord may file a complaint in Mercer County Superior Court. The tenant must be sure to appear, because if they do not, an Eviction Notice can be issued within 3 days. To contact Mercer County Superior Court-Special Civil Part, call 609-571-4483.

Show All Answers

1. Am I eligible for rent control?
2. How do I register as a landlord and what is the fee?
3. Is anyone exempt from paying the landlord registration fee?
4. What is the landlord requirements for providing heat to tenants?
5. Who do I contact about tenant/landlord issues or disputes?
6. How do I make an anonymous landlord complaint?