Applying for Concealed Carry Permit
Applying for a Permit to Carry a Handgun
The following instructions are the same for the initial and renewal application
- YOU MUST APPLY IN PERSON
- PLEASE CALL HAMILTON POLICE DIVISION AT 609-581-4000 EXT 5 TO SET UP AN APPOINTMENT
PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
1. Driver’s License and Birth Certificate OR Driver’s License and Passport OR Driver’s License and Naturalization Paperwork/Green Card
2. Three (3) State of New Jersey Applications For Permit To Carry A Handgun, form SP642. Must be printed double-sided and notarized.
3. Four (4) color passport size photographs.
4. Consent for Mental Health Search, form SP066.
5. Written proof of ownership and qualification with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying.
a. Proof of ownership can be a purchase receipt or purchase permit or a notarized letter of ownership listing make, model, and serial number of handgun(s).
b. Written qualification must be within six (6) months of application and include Instructors Name and Certification, make, model, caliber and serial number of handgun(s) you intend to carry.
6. Money Order in the amount of $50.00 payable to; “Treasurer, State of New Jersey”
** ALL APPLICANTS (INITIAL AND RENEWAL) FOR PERMIT TO CARRY A HANDGUN MUST BE FINGERPRINTED. INSTRUCTIONS FOR FINGER PRINTING WILL BE PROVIDED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION.
** THE REQUIRED WRITTEN FIREARMS QUALIFICATION, IN ACCORDANCE WITH N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(B), CAN BE OBTAINED AT MOST FIREARM RANGES Throughout THE STATE. A LIST IS ALSO AVAILABLE AT WWW.NJSP.ORG > PUBLIC INFORMATION > FIREARMS INFORMATION > NEW JERSEY SHOOTING RANGES FOR RPO QUALIFICATION.
** A NEW JERSEY PERMIT TO CARRY IS VALID FOR TWO (2) YEARS FROM TIME OF APPROVAL.
**FAILURE TO FOLLOW ANY OF THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN YOUR APPLICATION BEING RETURNED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-APPLY
Application forms are available to download at: https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/forms.shtml