Exciting Ways Hamilton’s Protecting Our Environment
Mayor Kelly Yaede and her administration, along with Hamilton’s Environmental Commission are working to improve our local environment and our sustainability. Here are just some of the ways.
- Hamilton earned the 5th largest ‘Clean Communities’ grant in NJ
- Received the 12th highest recycling tonnage grant in the state in 2017
- Has been a Tree City USA for 12 consecutive years
- A solar system supplements our Public Works garage
- Our Ecological Facility is a ‘regional leader’ for recycling and shared services
- We were the first town in NJ to use garbage collection trucks with cleaner-burning natural gas
- Our Environmental Commission has completed our Environmental Resource Inventory and identified our community’s vernal pools
- Hamilton holds annual Stream Cleanups
- Through our partnership with the Rutgers Cooperative Extension – Water Resources Program and our Environmental Commission, we have held residential rain barrel and rain garden workshops to improve stormwater management
- We have permanently preserved over 21 percent of our entire town as open space
- We promote recycling through our publications, neighborhood cleanups, events with scouting troops and programs in our local schools
- Our Environmental Awards Program promotes sustainability by recognizing honorees who have improved our local environment
- We have a Township ‘Green Team’ subcommittee
- And soon, Hamilton is poised to earn Bronze certification in the Sustainable Jersey Municipal Certification Program.