How to file an Internal Affairs complaint
All complaints of officer misconduct shall be accepted from all persons who wish to file a complaint regardless of the hour or day of the week. This includes reports from anonymous sources, juveniles and persons under arrest or in custody. Internal Affairs personnel, if available, accept complaints. If Internal Affairs personnel are not available, supervisory personnel accept reports of officer misconduct, and if no supervisory personnel are available, complaints can be accepted by any law enforcement officer. A complainant will not be told to return at a later time to file a report.
Upon receipt of an Internal Affairs complaint, the Internal Affairs investigator can advise the complainant of the importance of providing accurate and truthful information and may be advised of the consequences of filing a false report.
Internal Affairs complaints are accepted in the following manner:
In person Monday through Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm at the Internal Affairs office located at Police Headquarters or to any supervisor 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
- Call the Internal Affairs office at (609) 581-4098, to speak to an Internal Affairs representative Monday through Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm or leave a message after normal business hours. You will receive a return call during normal business hours from a representative of the Internal Affairs office.
Call the shift supervisor at (609) 581-4000 24 hrs. per day, 7 days per week.
Write a letter to the Chief of Police or the Internal Affairs Unit.
Police Headquarters Location and Mailing Address:
1270 Whitehorse – Mercerville Road
Hamilton, NJ 08619
Please include as much of the following information as possible:
- Date, time and location of incident.
- Name(s) and Badge number(s) of members involved
- Names, addresses and telephone numbers of any witnesses
- Brief description and circumstances of the incident.