HAMILTON POLICE DIVISION
1270 Whitehorse-Mercerville Road
Hamilton, New Jersey 08619
Firearms Unit phone: (609) 581-4044
ORI Number: NJ0110300
The New Jersey State Police, Firearms Unit, has announced the statewide activation of the Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS).
The activation of FARS will allow firearms applications to be created and submitted online, using the following website:
Hamilton Police Division ORI Number: NJ0110300
Please note that this system is taking the place of the current application system and no paper application is required. Applicants who have resided outside of the State of New Jersey, within a ten (10) year period will still be required to complete the Consent for Mental Health Records Search form in person at the Hamilton Police Division.
We look forward to a seamless transition and will make every effort to provide our citizens with any assistance and information that they may need.
FARS Application Procedures for Applicants:
Step 1: Applicants must visit the below listed website and review the “Service Information” section of the page. Click on the “Online S.T.S. 033 Form” option, located towards the bottom, left corner of the page. Applicants MUST enter the site address as it is displayed:
Step 2: Hamilton Police Division ORI Number is NJ0110300. Applicants will not be able to complete the FARS online application without the proper ORI number.
Below, is an example of what the website will display after the applicant has entered the ORI
Number for the Hamilton Police Division: ORI Number: NJ0110300
Step 3: Complete the online application, step by step. Applicants may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop (preferred), or desktop computer (preferred). When completing the application applicants will need the e-mail address of two (2) reputable references. The references can be family members.
Step 4: You MUST appear at the Hamilton Police Division to pay for your initial Firearms Identification card (FID) and/or pistol purchase permit. Your application WILL NOT be processed until you have paid for the initial FID card/pistol permit. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per NJAC 13:54-1.4. Payment must be made in the form of a Check or money order, NO cash will be accepted. Please make the check payable to the “Township of Hamilton”.
- Initial Firearms Identification Card, $5.00
- Permit to Purchase a Handgun, $2.00/each
Step 5: After the applicant’s background check and Firearms Identification Card and/or Permit to Purchase a Handgun is complete, a representative from the Hamilton Police Division, Firearms Unit, will contact the applicant and advise him/her of same. The representative will make arrangements with the applicant for him/her to retrieve the Firearms Identification Card and/or Permit to Purchase a Handgun.
Helpful Application Tips:
If the applicant makes a mistake while applying, they simply can RE-APPLY. The applicant should understand that all application fees are non-refundable and nontransferable. The applicant MUST utilize the correct ORI for the correct Police Agency.
- FARS is taking the place of the STS 033 form. Applicants can apply for all the same options as the paper application form with the exception of Permits to Carry.
- Permits to Carry are not able to be applied for utilizing FARS currently. Future phases of FARS will accept Permit to Carry Applications. The paper application still applies to Permits to Carry.
The applicant MUST enter their “Official Name”. They cannot utilize simplified versions of their names (Joe vs. Joseph).
Applicants must enter accurate phone numbers and emails for themselves and their references. If in the event that an applicant needs to supply a third reference, a paper copy of the additional reference information should be scanned into the application and updated in the notes section.
Family members can be references.
- After the applicant enters all required information, a REVIEW PAGE appears where the applicant can edit all information entered into the application prior to final submission.
- An INITIAL APPLICANT will be able to PRINT OUT their FINGERPRINT FORM at the end of the application, and are directed to do so.
- The applicant is also directed to print both the confirmation page and application at the end of the process. This is for quick reference in the event of an issue.
- No payment is taken from initial applicants by FARS. Only 212A applicants will pay at the end of their online application process. Initial applicants are instructed to bring payment to the Police Division.
- Applicants will be receiving automated e-mail updates throughout this new process.
- Once your application is complete, a Division representative will contact you to retrieve your Firearms Identification Card and/or Permit to Purchase a Handgun.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will e-mail them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop (preferred), or desktop computer (preferred). Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to process your background investigation.
- The on-line application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone number for yourself and references as well as the best e-mail address for yourself and your references.
******************* IMPORTANT *******************
- Hours of operation are as follow: Monday through Friday; 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM then again from 1:30 PM to 3:00 PM.
- For first time applicants you have 90 DAYS to get fingerprinted “NO EXCEPTIONS.”
- Although the FARS online application system sends an automated email informing the applicate of his/her approval PLEASE WAIT TO BE CONTACTED by a Hamilton Police Division, Firearms Unit, member before coming to pick up your Firearms Identification Card (FID) or Permit to Purchase a Handgun.