Knowledge Base

Do I need a Certificate of Occupancy before I close on my house?

No, you do not need a certificate of occupancy to close.  A certificate of occupancy is only needed to occupy a dwelling.  Occupy includes moving in personal belongings even if you are not physically moving in.

However, the mortgage company and/or the buyer may choose not to close without the certificate of occupancy.
Updated 3/30/2015 3:26 PM
Was this page helpful? Yes No
Thanks for your feedback!