Are you investigating any alternatives to your current anti-icing/deicing materials?
Category: Twp Roads/PW
- Yes. We are always looking for ways to do things better and more cost effectively. Anti-icing with Liquid salt (brine) is an example of this.
- We are investigating the use of chemical blends using different chlorides and in some cases other products like agricultural byproducts (sugars).
- This year we will be using beet juice to enhance our liquid chemical applications for anti-icing/pretreating our roadways. Beet juice is not a good ice melter, however, it is excellent for pretreating roads as its freezing point is well below zero degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beet juice is a natural corrosion inhibitor.
- When we apply liquid chemicals for pretreating our roads, we will be using a blend of liquid salt, liquid calcium chloride and beet juice.
- We are currently investigating the use of different types of plow blades such as rubber, polyethylene, composites and segmented blades, etc.
- This year we will be using wingplows on our loaders, some trucks and large landscape tractors. This will allow a truck to plow wider road widths. In some cases, one truck will do the work of two.
Updated 10/20/2010 3:34 PM