Knowledge Base

How do I renew handicapped plates and/or placards?

This does not apply to renewing of temporary placards.

You must renew your handicapped plates every year as part of the state-wide renewal process. If you no longer qualify for the plates, you must surrender your handicapped plates and “Disabled Person Identification Card” and apply for a new set of regular license plates at any MVC Agency. 

You must renew your handicapped placard every three years. You will receive an application in the mail. You must provide proof that the qualifying medical conditions still apply to receive a new placard and send your original “Disabled Person Identification Card.” Photocopies will not be accepted. There is no fee to renew your placard.

If you do not receive your renewal application in the mail, visit any Agency or call (609) 292-6500 or (888) 486-3339 to request one.

Mail the completed application to:

Special Plate Unit
PO Box 015
Trenton, NJ 08666-0015

Renewal applications will take 15 business days to process. There is no fee for the identification card or placard.

Note: MVC may require you to submit a physician’s statement recertifying your qualification for handicapped plates or placards as provided under N.J.A.C. 13:20-9.1(a)4.

Download the Application Instructions [76k pdf] for more detailed information.
Updated 9/10/2012 2:14 PM
Was this page helpful? Yes No
Thanks for your feedback!