How do I obtain a Civil Union License?
Category: Civil Union License/Certificate
- Approximately two weeks before the ceremony, applicant A and applicant B and one witness must come into the Health Department to apply for a license. Effective March 1, 2007, ALL CIVIL UNION LICENSE APPLICATIONS WILL BE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Call (609) 890-3826 to schedule an appointment no earlier than 2 weeks before intended civil union date. Effective July 10, 2004, All Domestic Partner certifications will be by appointment only. Call (609) 890-3826 to schedule an appointment.
- The witness must be at least eighteen years of age and has known both applicant A and applicant B for at least six months. The witness may be a family member.
- Applicant A and applicant B must have their birth certificates and social security cards or W-2 forms when they apply.
- If either applicant A and applicant B has previously been in a Domestic Partnership, they must bring in their domestic partnership papers or a death certificate (if applicable) when they fill out the application.
- There is a seventy-two hour waiting period (three days) from the time of completing the application until the license can be picked up. The license fee is $28.00 (cash or check). Applicant A or applicant B, or whomever they designate can pick the license up.
Hours for applying for a license are Monday through Friday by appointment only. Call (609) 890-3826 to schedule appointment for license application.
If you have further questions, please contact Vital Statistics Office at (609) 890-3826.
Updated 10/5/2016 3:48 PM