Knowledge Base

Who do I contact about tenant/landlord issues or disputes?

With the exception of building inspection issues and landlord registration, the Township does not get involved in landlord/tenant issues or disputes.  For other tenant/landlord affairs information, residents may contact the NJ Department of Community Affairs, Division of Codes & Standards, Landlord/Tenant Divsion by phone 609-292-7899, on their website at or by mail at P.O. Box 805, Trenton NJ 08625.  If a resident wishes to obtain a copy of the "Truth in Renting" brochure that is published by the State of New Jersey, they must submit their request in writing.  Formal complaints must be filed with the Mercer County Superior Court - Special Civil Part, which can be reached at 609-571-4483.

If a tenant feels that their rent increase is "excessive", they mush notify their landlord in writing, stating "I feel the increase is unfair, excessive and not warranted.  I do not intend to pay this increase, I do feel I can afford ___ per month".  If a resolution cannot be reached amicably between landlord and tenant, the landlord may file a complaint in Mercer County Superior Court.  The tenant must be sure to appear, because if they do not, an Eviction Notice can be issued within 3 days.  To contact Mercer County Superior Court-Special Civil Part, call 609-571-4483.

Updated 7/29/2016 9:59 AM
Was this page helpful? Yes No
Thanks for your feedback!